Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Our Name

What is our name all about? Well, it's not a long interesting story about how we came to be chocolate milk makers... (if there is such a thing?)
When my husband and I started dating, we got hand fulls of racial comments (some pertaining to our different skin tones). I have white skin and my husband has very dark brown skin.
We were called the "Oreo couple," "Duvalin," and various other nicknames. Even though most of this came at us in a negative way, my favorite has been "chocolate milk makers!" This meaning that our children would be a mixture of our two skin tones. It was, in my opinion, the least hurtful or judgemental of them all.
So maybe we will take something scrumptious like chocolate and something healthy like milk and make ourselves a little "chocolate milk!"

This is where we'd like to share with our friends and family about what it's really like to a live a multi-cultural life and be apart of a multi-racial family.

No comments:

Post a Comment